Friday 23 September 2011

What I found most interesting about the different sorts of dictionaries

The thing that I found most interesting is the development of dictionaries over time and the influence they have had on the use of the English language, I dread to think about how people would communicate now if it wasn't for the development of the language and sophistication of dictionaries. 

I think without dictionaries, language use would probably resemble the origins of English, the old English, the uncomprehensible English - it wouldn't be as rich as it is now, that's for sure.

I need to learn more about the history of dictionaries as I don't think I've researched enough but language change is definitely an interesting thing to study. 

For the prescriptivism vs descriptivism homework post, look below. :)

1 comment:

  1. Lots of scope for more research here! The British Library link gives you a LOT to read and think about - a good place to start. Also, beware of dismissing Old English (500-1100) - in its day it developed great sophistication and some wonderful literature was produced. It's incomprehensible to Modern English speakers, but only because the continued changes in our language have created the distance. Think about how Old English as a vibrant language inspired someone like J R Tolkein!

    ReplyDelete