Tuesday 8 November 2011

My recording experience

It seemed like an easy concept. All I had to do is acquire some spoken interaction via the medium of recording.  How hard could it be?
I was well prepared, using two phones and a recording device to record to ensure that I captured every second; it wasn’t to be.  The content just wasn’t right. I explained to the participants my aim of the recording and clearly informed them that their task was to have a normal, flowing conversation. No extra thought, no effort.
They just didn’t understand. My ideas weren’t complex, their task wasn’t complicated, why couldn’t they just fulfil my expectations. I was disappointed. The whole thing was a disaster.
In the end, my recording was just a collection of jumbled verbalizations. It wasn’t at all what I was looking for... my subsequent tasks were just in jeopardy, I couldn’t do any further recordings because I just didn’t know what I was doing anymore. The whole thing just filled me with dread.
After going through an unsuccessful recording experience, I now know that I no longer want to record spoken interaction again. The perfect recording just isn’t possible.
However, I’m far from giving up, you mark my words, I will achieve my aim.... eventually.  

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, people don't always live up to our expectations... I'm sorry this has been so frustrating this far. Don't ever give up! I have some decision-making tasks which can help generate conversation - ask me if you think this would be useful. People often get so absorbed in arguing their choices that they forget to be embarrassed about being recorded. You have certainly learned about Observer's Paradox!

    ReplyDelete