Tuesday 28 June 2011

So, I missed today's English lesson BUT I made some observations whilst on the trip to Southampton Uni.

Here is what I observed: 

There was a lecture taken by a woman who had moved from China to England and has lived here for 8 years.

I was paying particular attention to how she spoke.

WHICH WAS WEIRD - This is what studying English does to you! 

Anyway:   here's what I observed (finally getting to the point).

As English was her second language; she often omitted lexical parts of the sentence.
  • When saying English words which are either pluralised or naturally spelt with an 's' - the 's' on the end was never pronounced
  • She didn't include determiners - e.g. 'thinking outside box' instead of  'thinking outside of the box'
  • Prepositions were omitted.
  • She had emphasis on the second syllable of every word that she used.

No comments:

Post a Comment